Sunday, January 9, 2011

An experiment with colour gels

Just a quick post today, the most exciting of baking adventures have yet to happen.

Yesterday, however, I played around with gel food colourings and made this great rainbow cake! It is actually in the shape of a roller skate, but the photo of it before it got chopped is hiding on someone else's camera currently.

Point is - I LOVE my colour gels! Absolutely a best buy. It has been a while since I have used them in anything other than candy or icing though, and with an impending cake challenge ahead of me I wanted to make sure they would work just as well in cake batter. Very easy, though, I just split the mix into 5 and stirred the gels through each and then poured them into the cake pan on top of each other. I was a little surprised at they layering effect that happened, but I think I like it better this way. Every slice has a different type of rainbow! Psychedelic rainbow cake... delicious.

Another exciting baking adventure (Amazing Rainbow Unicorn Cake aside) is that I am being commissioned by a friend to bake some cupcakes for her little sister's 21st this weekend! I've been given complete creative freedom with them as well, so as long as they are edible they can be whatever flavour, colour and design that I want. Very very amped, and flattered! I think I may play around with my colour gels for the cupcakes as well, and maybe some different kinds of icing. Photo fueled post to come next week!

x CB

No comments:

Post a Comment