Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Branching out: Peach Pie

I realised the other day that, although I do a heap of baking, I have a tendency to only make things that would fit into the "cake" variety (yes, I do admit that as much as it pains me cupcakes pretty much are just that... cup sized cakes). Deliciously buttery, spongey treats that can be filled with things and covered in icing are wonderful, but to fill a blog with them when there are so many other "sweet treats" that I could be learning to make?

Unimpressed with my lack of baking variety, last night I decided that I wanted to try my hand at Peach Baklava - a recipe I've long been eyeing up from The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook. Forever unprepared, it was a little too late to back out of baking adventures by the time I realised I had no filo pastry (and that, realistically, I couldn't be bothered going to the supermarket to get some...) as my heart was set on sweet peachy desserts... so I made peach pies instead, complete with homemade pie crust!

Full of peaches, brown sugar and cinnamon this wasn't quite the summer dessert that the baklavas would have been, but it tasted pretty amazing with vanilla icecream, and made an even better treat served cold when I got home this afternoon!

Later in the week I am going to keep up with my non-cake run and try out the Sweet Treats cookbook's recipe for shuku shuku. Stay posted!

xo CB


No comments:

Post a Comment