Sunday, October 21, 2012

From tree to crumble, and other adventures.

Montreal autumns are driving me nuts.

I don't know whether it's the smell of falling leaves, the chillier weather making me crave comforts, or simply having a kitchen and people to cook for again, but I am churning out baked goods like a mad woman.

This morning we went apple picking about an hour out of the city near Laval. Sadly the season was close to over so we didn't officially get to pick a full bag (though a fair few limbs were climbed to rescue the last remaining few on the trees), but it was a spectacular day none the less. I tried a maple cider that blew my mind completely, and ate probably the best doughnut I've ever tasted.

Upon returning home, 5lbs of apples in hand, I thought it fit to put the pie dish my housemate gifted me - possible ulterior motive, there? - to good use and make the ultimate spiced crumble, complete with candied apple peel garnish.




Other recent baking adventures after the jump.






Lemon poppyseed cake. Crunchy and tart.


Banana and chocolate chunk cake with peanut butter frosting. Double batched, and luckily so.
 
xCB

No comments:

Post a Comment