Monday, December 20, 2010

Summer is for baking and bike rides

Wednesday was my day off, and to celebrate I decided to bake scones and ride my bike over to a friend's house for a picnic in the sunshine.

I usually SUCK at making scones. Supposedly they are the easiest thing ever, but I normally end up with rock cakes. Luckily this recipe called for 6 teaspoons of baking powder, and they ended up pretty fluffy.

They were really quite delicious, especially with the amazing "Lil' Miss Envy's Grandma was a Jammer" homemade jam I bought at Jukebox Jamboree this year, and even more so when I finally got them to the picnic and we whipped some cream to go with them!

The wonderful Edmond's failproof recipe, for those who struggle with scones as much as I usually do -

3 cups standard plain flour
6 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
75g butter
1 - 1 1/2 cups milk (+ extra for glazing)


Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl.
Cut in butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
Add milk, mixing quickly with a knife to form a soft dough. Knead a few times.
Press scone dough onto a baking tray dusted lightly with flour.
Cut into 12 even-sized pieces, place with 2cm between each. Brush tops with milk.
Bake at 220 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes or until golden brown


Posts with rocky road, other nom chocolate treats, cookies, and a (not-so-sweet, but still delicious) pasta night coming soon...

x




No comments:

Post a Comment